I am sure many of my readers watch SAY YES TO THE DRESS. If you haven't seen it, the show featured famed bridal salon , Kleinfeld's in NYC. It is a reality show , but no one gets kicked off - much to my sisters dismay. I enjoy the show and my husband even gets a kick out of it.
While watching the show recently, I thought I should write about a list of do's and don'ts for gown shopping. I've also added some beautiful gowns from Kleinfeld Bridal bridal salon.
So, here goes:
- Allow your self at least 6-8 months to order your gown.
- Visit the bridal salon during the week when it is much less busy. The weekend crowd is just too much and you may not get the attention you deserve. Be sure to schedule and appointment!
- Don't take a large group of people. You'll likely be overwhelmed by all of the opinions. Chances are you already know what you want in a gown and may feel that you have to please everyone - even at your own expense. I would suggest taking your mother, best friend, or wedding planner. Just try to keep the count to two people if at all possible. You can always take others later after you have made your selection.
- Although you may have an idea of what you want, allow the bridal gown consultant to show you other gowns. They have seen lots of gowns and body types and can find one you may have never considered. Who knows, it may even be the one you choose.
- Take along appropriate undergarments. This is also a great time to have a bra fitting. Remember, you should be fitted at least twice a year.
- Take along dresses shoes. You probably won't know what shoes you'll wear yet, but you should take some along to get the feel of what your dress will look like with heels.
- Take a camera. However, keep in mind that most salons won't allow you to photograph until you actually put a deposit on the gown. It doesn't hurt to ask.